RE: [HolisticPet2] Re: Raw Food Co-op membership fee



Hey Toni,

Our co-op is quite pricey, so there's no savings happening, even when I buy
by the case. The co-op "owner" insists on offering foods from only organic
and humanely raised animals. Some of us just cannot afford to buy that way.
Then, on top of that, we're now asked to pay a yearly fee. I'm just not
going to do it, which means I need to find other sources for my dogs' foods,
which is fine because I did that before I joined the co-op. The downside is,
the co-op does sell wonderful "dog" foods that I won't be able to buy
anywhere else.
The time to get to the co-op pickup is 2 1/2 hours one way; that isn't too
bad, because when I'm in that area I do other things to make the cost of the
trip worthwhile.

Marilyn, Miko (Chasing lizards in Heaven), Bess, RoseyMae, and (FC) Beaver
Cleavear, Fort Bragg, CA

>>>From: HolisticPet2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:HolisticPet2@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of allpetsboarding@yahoo.com

To get back to pet food coops. I have an account with two different
warehouses that supply pet/farm items to retail stores in this area. It's
cheaper, that's for sure, for me to buy a couple of hundred dollars worth of
dog food at wholesale cost rather than retail. I would have a tough time
paying retail for my crew. I have thought many times if I could get enough
people to order with me, I could meet the minimum dollar amount and then be
able to order more often (fresher product) and not have such an enormous
cash outlay all at one time. That would put me in charge of ordering,
recieving, grouping according to who ordered what, collecting the money and
making copies of the catalog available to everyone at my expense. I get a
catalog from the wholesaler but those catalogs cost money and they don't
give them away easily. (I work full time in publishing so I know!) Not to
mention making sure that eveyone has their order in by order day and
absorbing the
cost when someone bails. Been there, done that.

So I guess, if you want the products you see through the coop, decide
whether you can buy them for a better price on your own. If you can, and if
driving wherever you need to go to get the products, then by all means,
don't join a coop. If you can't and the convienience of having someone be
responsible for the things you want is worth a few bucks to you, then the
coop would help you out for very little added cash. When I order something
on the net (because I live in the boondocks) I decide whether I am likely to
find that item next time I take a shopping trip to the next town, how
desperately I need it, and if the shipping compares to a 100+ mile round
trip for me to drive after it. And what if after I drive 50+ miles and spend
another 20 miles driving all over town I don't find what I want anyway? And
what if I do find it and it costs more than the item plus shipping on line?
All things to consider. I am the Queen of Tightwads but I know when I'm
beat.
So I just pay the money and quit thinking about it. When you fill your
truck up at the pump, you gripe but you pay for it and life goes on. Same
with pet food.

 Toni in zone 4 Iowa USA

__._,_.___
This information is not intended to replace a doctor's advice.  Each person takes responsibility for their decisions based on the information and opinions that are submitted on Holistic Pet 2.
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

0 comments: